The Utah Beer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is the place to explore all aspects of Utah's Craft Brewing scene.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

New member moving from LAX to SGU. Need advice.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
jmbrowning

New member moving from LAX to SGU. Need advice. Empty
PostSubject: New member moving from LAX to SGU. Need advice.   New member moving from LAX to SGU. Need advice. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 4:07 am

Hi! I'm moving from Los Angeles County to Washington County in the next eight to ten months or so.

I've been homebrewing since 1998, initially as a potential survival skill for the BIg Y2K scare, then for cheap suds (when I couldn't afford it), and even later on to make things I couldn't readily find (strawberry melomels, etc).

Ever since the kids came along though, the brew equipment went into the storage unit. Those little rugrats are now driving a move out of "Missionland" to a more wholesome environment in St George. While the state package store has a decent selection of spirits and wines, my true love is still beer and I suspect I will have to brew my own if I want decent cheap beer.

I've got a few questions regarding my move:
  1. what laws do I need to be aware of regarding home brewing at either a state or municipal/county level? Are they any different than Federal regs?
  2. What is the 72 oz rule regarding kegs? Is it something to do with the amount of alcohol per person at an event? I am currently setup to bottle, but if I am going to brew for year round use, I may go ahead with kegging.
  3. Are there any tariffs or regs regarding gifting homebrews to other Utahns?
  4. I know that bringing alcohol from out of state is rumrunning, but are there any special rules regarding transporting homebrewed alcohol to my campsite/cabin/boat/etc for legal consumption?
  5. Where can I get homebrew supplies in the Dixie area?
  6. Is there anything that I should go ahead and get here in LA before the move? Kegging and keg dispensing equipment would seem to be high on that list.
  7. Are there any homebrew clubs in SG?
  8. Any other advice from Deseret homebrewers is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
Ed

Ed

PostSubject: Re: New member moving from LAX to SGU. Need advice.   New member moving from LAX to SGU. Need advice. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 8:51 am

This should help with questions 1, 3, and 4. Scroll down to item 6, and read the rest:

http://www.le.state.ut.us/interim/2008/html/00001845.htm

There was also an amendment limiting the amount transported to 72 oz. per person over 21.

http://utahbeer.blogspot.com/2009/02/new-amendment-to-homebrew-bill.html

Commercial kegs are illegal... Not sure how that impacts kegs of homebrew kept in your own home. But, of course, they can't go around kicking in doors looking for that sort of thing.

There are people here who are more knowledgeable about this stuff than I am -- so feel free to correct me on anything.

Back to top Go down
Malticulous

PostSubject: Re: New member moving from LAX to SGU. Need advice.   New member moving from LAX to SGU. Need advice. Icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 10:00 pm

Hello from another St. George brewer. I've met maybe a dozen or so other brewers here. We all have to order supplies online. Some of us commentate with a facebook group.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New member moving from LAX to SGU. Need advice.   New member moving from LAX to SGU. Need advice. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New member moving from LAX to SGU. Need advice.
Page 1 of 1