The Utah Beer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is the place to explore all aspects of Utah's Craft Brewing scene.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Flanders Red

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
kent

kent

Flanders Red Empty
PostSubject: Flanders Red   Flanders Red Icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 11:12 am

I'm a devout reader of http://www.themadfermentationist.com/ and I've been thinking about doing a sour beer for a while now. I'd like to hear about people's experience in brewing them.

In particular I'd like to do a Flanders Red. So if anyone has recipes or tips I'd appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
Dallas

Dallas

Flanders Red Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flanders Red   Flanders Red Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 12:25 am

Hey Kent did you ever get around to that Flanders Red? I have been talking about brewing one myself for the last 6 months, and could use any pointers if you have them. Currently I am building up different
Brettanomyces strains to ferment beers.
Dallas
Back to top Go down
kent

kent

Flanders Red Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flanders Red   Flanders Red Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 3:45 pm

I'm sorry Dallas I just saw this post.

I've got a recipe from the Wild Brews book that I've been working my way through. I plan to do this as soon as work slows down a bit. I think I'm going to go with the Wyeast Rosalare (sp?) blend. Then maybe throw in some dregs from a 529. That's where I'm at on it.
Back to top Go down
microbusbrewery

microbusbrewery

Flanders Red Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flanders Red   Flanders Red Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 6:36 pm

I know this is an old post, but after many visits to the blog, I just barely discovered the forum today Very Happy

Just wondering if you ever got around to brewing your Flanders Red? I brewed my first attempt at this style about eight or so weeks ago, so it still has a long ways to go.

I basically followed the recipe from Brewing Classic Styles except I swapped out the listed hops for some aged homegrown hops. I went with Wyeast's Roeselare blend from the start. I've also pitched dregs from some Russian River sours. I'm hoping the finished product will be as tart and complex as some of the commercial sours out there.
Back to top Go down
http://www.microbusbrewery.org/
kent

kent

Flanders Red Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flanders Red   Flanders Red Icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2011 11:44 am

Welcome to the forum.

I did brew this. It's been in the secondary for about 10 months now. I actually took a sample of it this past week. It's tarting up nicely, but might be just a bit thin. My thought right now is to brew up another batch and mash pretty warm to leave some body, then instead of using the Wyeast Rosalare blend exclusively, I'll pitch a big lacto starter and some clean ale yeast. Then I'll blend it together.

I might need to throw in some oak cubes as well.
Back to top Go down
microbusbrewery

microbusbrewery

Flanders Red Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flanders Red   Flanders Red Icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2011 4:18 pm

Nice! Question for you, what are you fermenting it in and did you do anything special to ensure you got a little bit of oxygen permeation (e.g. an oak stopper)? I normally use a stainless conical or glass carboys, but I picked up a Better Bottle to dedicate to sours.
Back to top Go down
http://www.microbusbrewery.org/
kent

kent

Flanders Red Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flanders Red   Flanders Red Icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2011 8:12 pm

I didn't do anything special. I'd read a bit on Michael Tonsmeire's blog http://www.themadfermentationist.com and it seemed like I'd be okay just using a glass carboy. He did his first batch using an oak chair leg as a stopper I believe. Now I might pick up a better bottle and give that a shot. Let me know how that goes.

On a side note I never did get much of a pellicle.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Flanders Red Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flanders Red   Flanders Red Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Flanders Red
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Utah Beer Forum :: Home Brewing :: Recipes-
Jump to: