The Utah Beer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is the place to explore all aspects of Utah's Craft Brewing scene.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Epic Brewing's Plan

Go down 
+2
kent
Mikey
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Mikey
Admin
Mikey

Epic Brewing's Plan Empty
PostSubject: Epic Brewing's Plan   Epic Brewing's Plan Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 9:43 am

I posted on the Blog Epic's business model. What do you think? Will this model work in Utah? Is the demand going to be there? affraid http://utahbeer.blogspot.com/2010/04/more-epic-news.html
Back to top Go down
https://utahbeer.forumotion.com
kent

kent

PostSubject: Re: Epic Brewing's Plan   Epic Brewing's Plan Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 11:01 am

I think this is very exciting. I've really fallen for the higher gravity stuff. I really hope this works out. I'd much rather pay more for a single high gravity than two or three 4.0's. It's worth it to me. So will the model work in Utah? I know I'll be waiting when the doors open.

We should see if we can gather a few of the Utahbeer blog/forum folk and give Epic an opening day they deserve.

Cheers. jocolor
Back to top Go down
rickyhansing

rickyhansing

PostSubject: Re: Epic Brewing's Plan   Epic Brewing's Plan Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 12:12 pm

I'm with you Kent. I plan on scratching at the doors on opening day, their model seem like the type of model every home brewer has always thought of doing in Utah. I think that, if they succeed, this may pave the way for home brewers like us to blow the family fortune on a high gravity only micro of our own.
Back to top Go down
http://foxdragonkiwi@blogspot.com
Tosylate

Tosylate

PostSubject: Re: Epic Brewing's Plan   Epic Brewing's Plan Icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 5:19 pm

I'll certainly be there the day they open!

As for their plan... I feel that most if not all people who frequent this forum/blog are willing to pay extra for quality higher gravity beers, but will the general public? I think that their lack of ability to have beers on-tap at bars, plus an (understandably) higher price for their bottles might hurt them in terms of publicity and sales. I certainly hope not, but its something to consider...
Back to top Go down
Losati

Losati

PostSubject: Re: Epic Brewing's Plan   Epic Brewing's Plan Icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 6:30 pm

I've pondered the business plan off and on for a couple days and have a couple of thoughts.

1) If we find a way to get rid of the 4%ABV law, most of this is moot. Even if we just raise it to something more normal, like a 7%ABV restriction for beers on tap, that'd be better. Regardless, I don't think a change is going to happen any time soon since the disconnected majority party at the state house thinks it addressed all alcohol-related issues last year.

2) I think the lack of draft beer is going to have a negative impact on Epic. People like beers on tap. And I have to agree with that sentiment in the case of many styles of beer. Obviously due to idiotic laws like the 4%ABV cap on draft beers Epic can't do much in some cases. But when people go to a (non-beer) bar, I think they're more likely to try a draft beer, especially since they're so visible at the bar. Maybe some advertising or general visibility at bars would help.

3) I know that I don't mind paying a little more for a good beer, so they'll make some money off of me regardless of what they do.

4) As for the general rant on the blog post comments about the specialty beers from Squatters, et. al. being expensive: There is something to say for that. I know that a lot of those aged beers are going to be expensive no matter what, so I don't have a problem with buying one or two over the course of the release at a high price. But it might behoove them to make some cheaper limited releases so people don't feel like they overcharge. Basically, hit all price points so people feel like they can choose what's good for them. Not everything has to be aged or soured to be special. Great special release beers can be made without processes that push the price point way up.

I'unno. Dem's my two cents.
Back to top Go down
rickyhansing

rickyhansing

PostSubject: Re: Epic Brewing's Plan   Epic Brewing's Plan Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 1:06 am

Sure the lack of Draft beer sales will hurt them, there is no question about that. I also agree with Carlos that sometimes the price point on limited run beers from our micros should vary, and it seems like Epic will do that.

As for club and bar sales of bottle only high gravity bombers, I went to Area 51 this last weekend with several friends. Area is known for many things, but a mecca for beer geeks is not one of them. Nonetheless, I saw more bottles of LEV (Lion Brand) drank there then I have in the rest of my life combined. That makes me thing that if Epic can make some decent beers that are high ABV in some big bottles for a very low price they will be just fine. Sure LEV is only 2$ a bottle and all, but I can promise you that I saw 100 empty bottles in the couple hours I was at that club.

Think about all the Full Sail brewmaster series we have all put away ( I assume). I know the draw of a killer beer in a 22oz bomber for under 4$ is too much for me. Whatever new thing they have I tend to pick up a case of it, just because I trust the brand and the beer is always good. If Epic goes this route, I think it may draw enough of the "Area 51" type of crowd who sees a big, strong beer that is around 5$ at the bar. Or not... either way.
Back to top Go down
http://foxdragonkiwi@blogspot.com
Losati

Losati

PostSubject: Re: Epic Brewing's Plan   Epic Brewing's Plan Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 1:18 am

Lev is pretty popular right now. And I think that it's the style that makes it so. A Czech pilsener is not a stretch for the majority of people, which allows it to be popular. Session by Full Sail is similar. So I don't know if we can use that as a real bellweather of how other bigger beers may be accepted. Though some styles may be more popular than others, especially lighter, less robust in flavor styles.
Back to top Go down
Mikey
Admin
Mikey

PostSubject: Re: Epic Brewing's Plan   Epic Brewing's Plan Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 9:50 am

A little Lev trivia for you since it was brought up. Did you know that Salt Lake City is Lev's best selling market in the U.S. here's a story I wrote on it a few years ago.

http://utahbeer.blogspot.com/2007/07/in-like-lion.html

There's no word yet on what Epic's price point will be. My guess is that it will be at least triple the price of beers like Lev and the similar sized bottles.
Back to top Go down
kent

kent

PostSubject: Re: Epic Brewing's Plan   Epic Brewing's Plan Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 9:57 am

rickyhansing wrote:
I'm with you Kent. I plan on scratching at the doors on opening day, their model seem like the type of model every home brewer has always thought of doing in Utah. I think that, if they succeed, this may pave the way for home brewers like us to blow the family fortune on a high gravity only micro of our own.

This is exactly my thinking Rick. I would assume that a good portion of we homebrewers have this dream. Here is the closest thing to a scaled up version of my garage. Very Happy

Two weeks'ish and counting right? Given the samples we tried at the holiday tasting, I can't wait.
Back to top Go down
Mikey
Admin
Mikey

PostSubject: Re: Epic Brewing's Plan   Epic Brewing's Plan Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 12:09 pm

I've had achance to sample some of their offerings, though most were straight from the tank.

It looks like they're going IPA crazy. Three different IPAs I believe. I also sampled an oatmeal stout, wheat, rauchbier, saison, pale & a pils. Kevin hasn't stopped brewing since they got their licence. I think you'll all be impressed. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
kent

kent

PostSubject: Re: Epic Brewing's Plan   Epic Brewing's Plan Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 12:29 pm

Admin wrote:
I've had achance to sample some of their offerings, though most were straight from the tank.

It looks like they're going IPA crazy. Three different IPAs I believe. I also sampled an oatmeal stout, wheat, rauchbier, saison, pale & a pils. Kevin hasn't stopped brewing since they got their licence. I think you'll all be impressed. Very Happy

Ohhh a saison! Outstanding I can't get enough of them lately.
Back to top Go down
linenoiz

linenoiz

PostSubject: Re: Epic Brewing's Plan   Epic Brewing's Plan Icon_minitimeFri May 14, 2010 9:31 pm

I noticed over on their facebook page that Epic decided to open early. So I hauled ass on down there and picked me up a "one of each." Going to be a good weekend.

So far, I've tried the wheat (excellent) and the Copper Cone (also excellent). I'm already in love with these guys.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Epic Brewing's Plan   Epic Brewing's Plan Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Epic Brewing's Plan
Page 1 of 1