The Utah Beer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is the place to explore all aspects of Utah's Craft Brewing scene.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

No More State Liquor Stores?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mikey
Admin
Mikey

No More State Liquor Stores? Empty
PostSubject: No More State Liquor Stores?   No More State Liquor Stores? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 11:17 am

The question is simple.

How do you convert from a socialized liquor system to a privatized one while still keeping tax revenue at current levels; while keeping prices from skyrocketing?

I can't think of anything, but there's one thing that would help the state save money. Get the heavy beer out of state warehouse and put it with the distributors where it belongs. They'd still get all their taxes without the cost of transporting and storing it. scratch
Back to top Go down
https://utahbeer.forumotion.com
Tosylate

Tosylate

PostSubject: Re: No More State Liquor Stores?   No More State Liquor Stores? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 9:33 pm

I know we beer drinkers as a whole are a somewhat lazy people (or maybe its just me) but would using the groundswell from the whole liquor-store-closing and pulling-beer-from-convenience-store debacle to stage a demonstration be a good idea?

It could be a rally, 100(000?) man march, sit in, candle light vigil... whatever. Anything to get the press and lawmaker's attention. They sure backpedaled fast after the whole government transparency thing blew up in their face.

I feel there are enough readers of this blog, plus all the brewing clubs, plus patrons of brewpubs to actually make a difference. Hell, look how many people showed up for the brewfest!

Pipedream? Probably.
Back to top Go down
JRL

JRL

PostSubject: Re: No More State Liquor Stores?   No More State Liquor Stores? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 9:41 pm

I will march with you.

How about getting higher octane beer on draft. This would increase sales, get more beers into places and make a lot of things a hell of a lot easier.

Why would the government not want private liquor stores? They could keep the taxes the same and I am sure there are some suppliers out there that handle a lot more volume that can give better deals to the public as not to raise prices too high.

I would love to be able to go to a "Lee's Liquor" after work and take a look at any new beers that have come in. Probably not going to walk out empty handed either. I don't frequent the liquor stores too often and when I do I am usually buying liquor and happen to grab a few beers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No More State Liquor Stores?   No More State Liquor Stores? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

No More State Liquor Stores?
Page 1 of 1