The Utah Beer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is the place to explore all aspects of Utah's Craft Brewing scene.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Where to find wild hops in Utah?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
moeknows

Where to find wild hops in Utah? Empty
PostSubject: Where to find wild hops in Utah?   Where to find wild hops in Utah? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 2:39 pm

Anyone know where I can find wild hops here in Utah to add to my homebrew?
Back to top Go down
lordshockspeare

PostSubject: Re: Where to find wild hops in Utah?   Where to find wild hops in Utah? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 2:13 am

I have found and brewed with, probably not wild more likely feral, hops growing at Red Butte gardens. Assuming you can get to the Garden entrance, the one that is used for concerts, instead of going into the gardens, walk south along the Bonneville shoreline trail. after about 30-50 ft you should get to a stream crossing/bridge. If you look at the chain-link fence that encloses Red Butte Gardens you should see a rather healthy hop vine growing on it.

I have filled up several Nalgene bottles with them. I use them mainly for aromatic and flavoring hops for pale ales or hefe's. Since they are feral, there is no easy way to determine the alpha acid content, they don't taste nearly as floral or distinct as Saaz or some of the noble varieties so I just use them as filler more than anything else.

although, this was a few years ago and I have since started growing my own with more predicatble results. I have already harvested all the hops growing on my house so there is good chance the Red Butte ones are done for the season.

Back to top Go down
Bob

PostSubject: Re: Where to find wild hops in Utah?   Where to find wild hops in Utah? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 4:01 pm

you could grow your own. thats what i do.
Back to top Go down
edmanster

edmanster

PostSubject: Re: Where to find wild hops in Utah?   Where to find wild hops in Utah? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 10:03 pm

Bob wrote:
you could grow your own. thats what i do.
are you selling rhizomes on ksl?
Back to top Go down
Mikey
Admin
Mikey

PostSubject: Re: Where to find wild hops in Utah?   Where to find wild hops in Utah? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 12:00 am

I grow my own as well. But as Lordshockspear, said. You will get mixed results. Wild or feral hops are a bit of a crap shoot the first time you use them.
Back to top Go down
https://utahbeer.forumotion.com
Bob

PostSubject: Re: Where to find wild hops in Utah?   Where to find wild hops in Utah? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 1:08 am

No i don't sell them. I have always ordered off of Freshhops.com
shooting for a specific target for alpha is a wild card. it is still fun to do Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where to find wild hops in Utah?   Where to find wild hops in Utah? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Where to find wild hops in Utah?
Page 1 of 1