The Utah Beer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is the place to explore all aspects of Utah's Craft Brewing scene.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Whats Brewing?

Go down 
+7
edmanster
Bob
nos33
kent
Mikey
rickyhansing
JRL
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
JRL

JRL

Whats Brewing? Empty
PostSubject: Whats Brewing?   Whats Brewing? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 05, 2011 8:24 pm

Whats Brewing?

I am a new brewer and going to be starting my third batch tomorrow, It will be a raspberry hefeweizen for the wife. I am just doing extract kits right now but see myself moving forward to the next step soon.
I have a amber ale that has been bottled for three weeks that is getting better everyday and next week I should be able to bottle my IPA.

Look forward to chatting with everyone here and cheers.
Back to top Go down
rickyhansing

rickyhansing

Whats Brewing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats Brewing?   Whats Brewing? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2011 12:29 pm

Nice to meet you JRL,

You've started an amazing hobby, watch out, it may become an obsession. Good luck with your brewing today, and we'll see you around the message board.

---Ricky Hansing
Back to top Go down
http://foxdragonkiwi@blogspot.com
JRL

JRL

Whats Brewing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats Brewing?   Whats Brewing? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 9:25 pm

Thank you Ricky. Glad to see activity on the board here. Everything went smooth yesterday and she's a fermenting today. Now to wait, the hardest part.
Back to top Go down
Mikey
Admin
Mikey

Whats Brewing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats Brewing?   Whats Brewing? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 8:56 am

It is an amazing hobby. I'm sure my wife sometimes regrets ever getting me that first homebrew kit. Keep us posted, JRL.
Back to top Go down
https://utahbeer.forumotion.com
kent

kent

Whats Brewing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats Brewing?   Whats Brewing? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 1:09 am

Hiya JRL. Nice to have you aboard. Echoing Ricky and Mike's comments it's an infectious hobby for sure.

As for what I have brewing my fermenter's are empty at the moment. A product of a lot of house remodels but we've got a few batches in the planning stages.

BTW Ricky. I found another bottle of your Mole and it's aging amazingly. When I closed my eyes I'd swear it had just a hint of sour to it. I think it's the peppers but man was it good.
Back to top Go down
rickyhansing

rickyhansing

Whats Brewing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats Brewing?   Whats Brewing? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 11:09 am

Kent,

I have a little over a six pack of the Mole left, I haven't had it for a bit. I'm glad to hear it's aging well, I'll kick you another couple bottles if you want.

As for what's brewing? I have two meads and a fruit wine in secondary. A pure plum wine getting ready to get bottled as well as a tart cherry ale getting finished with primary. I also have a weird black gruit in bottle conditioning along with an Imperial Stout, Braggot, Barley wine and a couple others. As for what's planned: A "Belgian Dark" ale, Oatmeal stout, American Pale Ale, Lavender Mead and such.

JRL, I'd watch out... you'll end up brewing way too much if you let it get a hold of you.

---Ricky
Back to top Go down
Mikey
Admin
Mikey

Whats Brewing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats Brewing?   Whats Brewing? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 1:28 pm

Ricky, I find your lack of commitment to the brewing arts disturbing. Razz
Back to top Go down
kent

kent

Whats Brewing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats Brewing?   Whats Brewing? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 2:31 pm

Holy shit Ricky! I'm assuming you live in 4000 sqft or so.

Absolutely I'll take another bottle of the mole from ya thanks.
Back to top Go down
rickyhansing

rickyhansing

Whats Brewing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats Brewing?   Whats Brewing? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 8:42 pm

Mike, I'll tell you what, if I were more committed to brewing I'd be committed. As for how big my house is, let's just say I've allotted more space then I should to brewing. I also have a full bar, and a very crowded and understanding wife. My brew buddie Quinn also shares the work, so it works out. If you have a buddie who is working as hard as you are brewing is much more enjoyable.
---Ricky
Back to top Go down
JRL

JRL

Whats Brewing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats Brewing?   Whats Brewing? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2011 10:26 pm

I bottled my IPA yesterday in 22oz bottles. Got 24 bottles and 3 12oz out of the batch. This one is going to be good. I have more extract kits coming and hope to get the fermentor back in business this weekend.

I am anxious to take the next step but am going to hold off a bit to get some funds. My wife hates the smell when I am brewing but she is the one who got me the kit to brew so I blame her.

Back to top Go down
nos33

Whats Brewing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats Brewing?   Whats Brewing? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 9:30 am

I currently have an American Pale Ale fermenting, an Oktoberfest that needs to be bottled, and 4 other batches just waiting to be drank.
Back to top Go down
Bob

Whats Brewing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats Brewing?   Whats Brewing? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 3:56 pm

JRL wrote:
Whats Brewing?

I am a new brewer and going to be starting my third batch tomorrow, It will be a raspberry hefeweizen for the wife. I am just doing extract kits right now but see myself moving forward to the next step soon.
I have a amber ale that has been bottled for three weeks that is getting better everyday and next week I should be able to bottle my IPA.

Look forward to chatting with everyone here and cheers.

Nice. keep we wife happy Wink I brewed a 10 gal hef 2 weeks a go. going to flavor half with apricot and keep the other half regular.

we should trade a 6 pack. i have always wanted to do a raspberry, would like to see how it tastes.
Back to top Go down
JRL

JRL

Whats Brewing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats Brewing?   Whats Brewing? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 5:51 pm

I will trade for sure. I live in Daybreak also kind of by the trax station. Just let me know.
Back to top Go down
Bob

Whats Brewing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats Brewing?   Whats Brewing? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 6:18 pm

Was going to bottle, but decided to keg, so you are going to have to come over for a glass when yours is done.
I'm in East lake by the pool. let me know when your beer is ready.
Back to top Go down
JRL

JRL

Whats Brewing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats Brewing?   Whats Brewing? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 9:52 pm

Bob, I sent you a PM.

Saturday I am going to be doing my first all grain batch. I am excited. Went with a porter. Going to add coffee and oak three weeks in.
Back to top Go down
rickyhansing

rickyhansing

Whats Brewing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats Brewing?   Whats Brewing? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 10:51 pm

JRL,

Smart man about doing an all grain batch quickly. I've always figured that if you have the extract all figured out in a couple batches, there is no reason not to jump into all grain as soon as you can. Let us all know how it went.

---Ricky H.
Back to top Go down
edmanster

edmanster

Whats Brewing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats Brewing?   Whats Brewing? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 1:48 pm

today its cream of three crops cream ale, vanilla cream ale and raspberry cream ale... parti-gyle'n all three off the same grain bill but adding a pound of crystal to the MLT for a second sacrification rest for 45 minutes after the first running for the vanilla cream... Mmmm the house smells good!!
Back to top Go down
Ed

Ed

Whats Brewing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats Brewing?   Whats Brewing? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 10:16 pm

Damn -- You're not fucking around, are you?

I finally took the plunge and intentionally 'infected' a bucket of wort today. We'll see how it goes.
Back to top Go down
edmanster

edmanster

Whats Brewing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats Brewing?   Whats Brewing? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 11:54 pm

Ed wrote:
Damn -- You're not fucking around, are you?

I finally took the plunge and intentionally 'infected' a bucket of wort today. We'll see how it goes.
so is that the berliner? did you use some of dallas's brett then?
Back to top Go down
Ed

Ed

Whats Brewing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats Brewing?   Whats Brewing? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 6:36 pm

Yeah, Berliner Weiss. I just used Lactobaccilus for it. Then I'll pitch some yeast probably tomorrow I guess.

Maybe I'll steal some of Dallas' bugs for a Saison in the summer...
Back to top Go down
JRL

JRL

Whats Brewing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats Brewing?   Whats Brewing? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 6:46 pm

The AG went well, got 6 gallons out of it and its fermenting away. Had about 7 gallons when I started my boil, I was expecting a little more of a loss, guess I will know for next time.

Now the hard decision on what to do next. Wink
Back to top Go down
edmanster

edmanster

Whats Brewing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats Brewing?   Whats Brewing? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 9:14 pm

here is the cream ale just befor it wanted to try to blow the top.. got it just in time and put a tube on it.. sorry, art mann is going on in the background.. funny cause all i hear is titties and boobs..lol
Back to top Go down
Andrew Jensen

Andrew Jensen

Whats Brewing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats Brewing?   Whats Brewing? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 2:27 pm

Wow! That is some great activity
Back to top Go down
http://www.cachebrewingsociety.com/
Ed

Ed

Whats Brewing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats Brewing?   Whats Brewing? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 4:57 pm

Haha, nice...
Back to top Go down
Mikey
Admin
Mikey

Whats Brewing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats Brewing?   Whats Brewing? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 5:18 pm

Damn! Looks like your boiling chicken soup. Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Whats Brewing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats Brewing?   Whats Brewing? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Whats Brewing?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next